Farmers & Merchants State Bank continually makes investments in state-of-the-art online banking security to ensure we protect the confidentiality of every customer's online information and to provide the utmost security of every user.
Account Activation Text Scams
- Farmers & Merchants State Bank Customers
- June 9, 2014
- Automated texts are being broadcast that warn consumers to call certain numbers to reactivate their payment cards.
- A recent text example: "Federal Credit Union ALERT: Your CheckCard has been temporarily LOCKED. Please call Card Services line (407) 574-2992".
- Text messages do not reference a particular issuing brand but they may vaguely refer to a credit union or bank.
- Additional originating text numbers for this recent scam include: 786-300-2335 and 971-208-9936. All numbers referenced herein have been disbanded. New originating numbers will most likely be created and used in the future.
- Text messages may also originate from Jamaican area code 876 which is easily confused by consumers with a toll free number.
- Never call a potentially fraudulent number. Law enforcement and local communication companies may be in the middle of an investigation that will be compromised if the fraudsters become suspicious.
- Report as many details as possible to your financial institution. Full telephone numbers, including area codes, are essential for any telephony scam investigation.
- Be aware that a series of numbers are often involved in telephony scams. This scam may not be entirely limited to the number(s) referenced above.
If you receive one of these texts, do not respond and do not provide your card or account number. You may contact us at Farmers & Merchants State Bank or contact local law enforcement with the number being utilized by the fraudsters so that the accounts can be traced or terminated. If you believe your account has been compromised, please contact us immediately.